Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Why I Despise Rock Radio

Rock radio is full of complete buffoons. Every single weekday I attempt to perform a radio show that entertains as well as edifies (the preceding few words should be considered "sarcasm"...thank you). My studio is about 8 feet across the hall from one of those idiotic rock radio station. You know the archetype...

"Sex sex sex...raunch raunch...aren't we talented...sex sex sex...pompous ego, pompous ego...raunch...sex...we rock!!"

Sigh.

The most troubling part is when I'm trying to do a live broadcast in my studio, I can hear their signal bleed into the microphone because they're playing their receiver so frickin' loud. I used to ask them, albeit politely, to turn it down. The silence usually lasted about 43 seconds and then they turn it back up.

I also hear how they talk about our station when they think none of our staff is listening. It's ok, I can handle it. Every once in a while something arises where a member of their staff needs help from a member of mine.

We always seem to be overly busy to help. Or we pretend we have no idea how to help.

Then they're screwed.

Let's take a gander at the staff, shall we?

The morning jock used to work in San Francisco and Hawaii. A majority of the time, unless a radio personality takes their show into syndication, they will end up in a smaller market until they retire. Unfortunately, most bring a large market ego to a small market station and alienate most of the staff. That's what this guy does. It doesn't help that his wife tells him on a daily basis how great he is and how he'll once again be flying high in big market radio sometime soon.

He's been here 4 years now.

The midday jock is a nice guy when he wishes to be, but most of the time he records his show and then blasts it in his office so everyone in the office has to listen to it. And then he leaves at 3:30 in the afternoon. I'm usually here until 9 or 10pm at night. What's wrong with this blurry picture?

The afternoon jock frightens me. I don't think you're supposed to greet him unless he's stoned. I only say "hello" depending on the look he has in his eye. You can tell when someone doesn't wish to be spoken to. He's a great jock, but doesn't really play well with others.

Since I have no end for this blog, I will take a small bow.


No comments:

Post a Comment