Saturday, July 02, 2005

Stacy Vacation 2005: Day 2: Nakai the Super Nephew

I can't begin to fully describe how excited I was to finally become an uncle.

I believe I'm nearly to the point where it's too late for me, kids are just not in my future.

But my sister, my more talented, more attractive, more succesfful sister, well that's another story entirely.

The day my sister finally gave birth to my nephew Nakai (translation: creative), I told everyone who would listen that I was Uncle Stacy.

Yes, I know. I became one of THOSE people.

Now I understand what all the fuss is about.

My sister, brother-in-law and Nakai met me at the hotel around 10am to have our first breakfast together.

I've only talked with my brother-in-law a few times on the phone, and met him once before, so I really didn't know him that well. But I didn't have any reservations about him because I trust my sister. It was just a little awkward at first.

And then I finally met my nephew for the first time.

I said, "Hello."

He responded by wailing and hiding in my sister's dress.

I knew my appearance would freak him out.

We sat down and placed our orders while my sister and brother-in-law attempted to get Nakai to say my name.

"Tay-tee."

He didn't look around aimlessly. He didn't start crying. He said my name as best he could.

It was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.

And then he said it again.

"Tay-tee."

Nothing against my sister's intelligence as a child, but all she could manage was, "Tay-tay."

My nephew distinguished both syllables and did his best to reproduce them.

I was amazed.

And I'll never forget it.

And I'll most likely tell anyone who will listen.

I know. One of THOSE people.

After breakfast we took a whirlwind tour of Tucson and it's a nice little mecca in the middle of the desert.

But it's Hades frickin' hot.

When you step out of a building, or your car, or anything where air conditioning is your best friend, the heat in the air just envelopes your body and created sweat in every single pore it can pummel into submission.

It's actually quite spread out, and greener than I expected. And construction is every-frickin-where.

Much like California.

We made it to my sister and her family's home and it sits on a good piece of property. I was reintroduced to my sister's other children: Cracker the Wise Lab and Lucy the Insane Love Dog.

Cracker had been with my sister for years. My sister kidnapped him from a crack lady in the capitol park in Sacramento. He was skinny and not being taken care of very well.

That's right. My sister loves hard luck cases. That's why she loves her brother.

And Lucy was adopted from the shelter because they didn't want Cracker to be lonely.

After seeing them together, I believe Cracker preferred being an only child.

They get along just fine, but Cracker sometimes leers at Lucy with an expression of, "My God you're giving our species a bad name."

Then Cracker curls up somewhere where he can be left completely alone while Lucy chases a ball a gazillion times.

I'm not exaggerating.

Inside my sister has Noodles, which is the best cat ever created by God.

She's a full grown cat, but still loves to play just like a kitten.

And it's because of Noodles that I really had a chance to bond with Nakai.

Nakai takes a pencil and just waves it in front of Noodles and she'll swat at it and play just like a kitten.

So Nakai hands me the pencil so I can play with the cat. I try to make it fun by making growling noises every time I use the pencil. As Noodles swats away, I make the growling sound and Nakai just giggles and laughs.

He would have done this for hours if we would have let him.

We kept swapping the pencil back and forth and back and forth and my nephew just loved it.

And he was still saying my name.

Later in the afternoon I suggested we all go to a movie.

I couldn't believe how excited they were about this idea.

I believe I didn't fully comprehend how much a child takes over and changes a couple's life.

We drove Nakai to his grandmother's house and I had a chance to meet more of my extended family.

His grandmother didn't speak any English, and his grandfather spoke the language, but with a very thick accent.

The nicest two people you'd ever want to meet. And because of their background, Nakai learns English and Spanish on a daily basis.

Unlike his Uncle, he won't have to take years of Spanish in school, forget most of it, and then end up translating every fifth word he hears people speak.

That's one of the reasons why Nakai is a Super Nephew.

We decided to see "War of the Worlds" even though Tom Cruise is a complete and utter moron and Spielberg has addressed aliens a number of times before.

But I'm glad I went.

The visual effects are jaw dropping. I know I had my jaw open, gaping like a mouth breather for most of the film. This is a film that screams seeing it in a theater with a bunch of your rude counterparts.

The film was fantastic, thrilling, exciting, frightening...until the last five minutes.

Out of nowhere, without any warning, all the ends are tied up neatly with a pretty, heart-wrenching bow.

It nearly sank the previous hour and forty-five minutes.

I turned in early that evening, not because I didn't like the company of my family, but because dialysis was tugging at my energy level. I felt sluggish and slow.

So I politely said good night, took a shower and went to bed.

And slept another fantastic night of sleep.

Whether it's being hundreds of miles from the stress of my everyday life or the bed is fantastically firm, I didn't care.

Join me again for tomorrow's blog, when you'll hear Stacy say, "Don Rickles! They've got Don Rickles!"

Thank you, and good night from Tucson, Arizona, home of always proud cacti.

1 comment:

  1. Nakai sounds adorable! "Those people" are mostly smiled with, not laughed at. I guess I am somewhat like one of 'those people'. I keep delivering long speeches to my sister about how I want a niece or nephew, and I want one damn soon so she'd better get out there and start procreating. This scars my 15 year-old, boy-shy sister to no end.

    Strangely enough, I pronounce your name 'Tay-tee' as well.

    ReplyDelete