Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Greek Goddess in Turmoil

It's been nearly a week and I haven't heard a word.

Her catheter had been clotting on and off for some time and when I spoke to her last Thursday she said she probably was going to be admitted to the hospital.

She promised, oh my goodness did she promise, that she would call and update me once she felt well enough.

That call never came.

The first time I attempted to call, her voice mail was full.

This exponentially quadrupled my worry.

A couple days later I left a message, but to no avail.

I'm trying to be patient and hope for the best, but that's not one of my strong points.

A year ago she just stopped calling. For three months. Our friendship has been volatile in the past, so I figured I'd done something to infuriate her and she was just ignoring me.

I know, dopey me.

It turns out she nearly died after her last catheter surgery. They really did a number on her digestive tract and she has a difficult time to this day keeping food down.

And the pain in her surgical scar still causes her incredible suffering.

When we met over my vacation, we went out for pizza and she told me all her plans for when she gets well.

How she wants to write a book exposing what the Turks have done to her native Cyprus.

How she'll produce the chilling stage play based on her book that will truly bring light to the situation in Greece.

How she wants to try to make up in some small way all the suffering and worry she's caused her family.

You may scoff at her plans, but if any one individual can see their dreams to fruition, it's my favorite Greek Goddess.

Which is why she has to get better. She just has to.

If life has any shred of decency left in it's polluted, mangled form, she will.

I hope.

4 comments:

  1. Wishing all the best for her. She sounds like a very sweet person! You're both fortunate to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I know this is probably a stupid question, and I probably missed some huge obvious piece of information, but give me a break, I just worked all day, I'm beat. But...have you called the hospital? They could at least tell you if she was still admitted...and if you don't know which hospital, well hell, call all of 'em! *keeping fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your kind comments. I appreciate it.

    I called UCSF just recently, but she's not there.

    Her cell voice mailbox if full and she's not answering her home phone.

    I hope she's ok, she just has to be.

    ReplyDelete