Sunday, February 19, 2006

Jen the Neckish Wonder

There are some advantages to being a radio personality in the same market for the last six years and sometimes I tend to forget that undeniable fact.

For example, women from my past can easily find me.

Let me introduce you to Jen the Neckish Wonder.

It's been at least six years since I first met Jen. She was dating one of our weekend part-timers and he brought her by the station for a tour.

It's an old washed up radio cliche, but women love to tour radio station's. It's exciting, thrilling and makes you seem like a pseudo celebrity.

Which is exactly what most radio people are.

He brought Jen by the studio and we exchanged pleasantries.

Of course, I was instantly attracted to her. She has short brunette hair and a slim little figure with a "girl next door" presence to her.

Yes, in case you're wondering, that's my fave-or-ite.

A week later I get a call from her asking me out.

(Note to women: GUYS LOVE IT WHEN YOU ASK US OUT.)

I couldn't tell you where we went or what we did, but I vividly recall giving her a neck massage and a sudden make out session not too long afterward.

Many of our dates went like this. For whatever reason, that's as far as it went. It was sweet and fun, but nothing more.

And then she was gone.

She disappeared to train to be an EMT. I continued here in Santa Rosa.

And every once and a while I would hear from her.

Last I heard she had married a firefighter (don't they all) and seemed very happy in the East Bay.

The request line went off about 6pm tonight and just like that, she was back.

"Stacy? It's Jen."

I was caught off guard as I thought, "Jen who?"

We talked for a good twenty minutes. It's just nice to hear a voice from the past from time to time. Sometimes we hold on so strong to a memory of someone, we don't realize that their life continues wandering too.

She's saving lives on a regular basis, but married doesn't describe her any longer.

Jen will be up in this area to visit her family, so I offered my cell phone just for the heck of it.

Neither of us is the same person, but we sure laughed a lot during the phone call.

Jen has the dubious honor of reminding me exactly what I'm looking for. Adorable girl next door with a great sense of humor.

You think someone like that would be easier to find.

1 comment: