Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Squeeze Blood From a Turnip Act of 1996

I will now attempt to describe in detail what is transpiring within my current radio market, how it affects my current career track and whether any of this makes any sense in the overall scheme of terrestrial radio.

You may want to grab a compass, dust off the slide rule and prepare for trigonometric equations only a Radio Manager could love.

In the beginning, the FCC deemed it allowable that a broadcast company may own two FM's and one AM in any given regional market.

During the latter part of the first term of the Clinton Administration, lobbyists from radio conglomerates opened their checkbooks and stuffed millions of dollars into FCC coffers to loosen up the restriction of number of stations owned in any given market.

This came to to officially be knows as the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Or as it's known among programmers in the radio industry:

The Squeeze Blood From a Turnip Act of 1996.

Here's the portion from the actual document that currently affects my company's situation, as quoted directly from the FCC.com website:

With regard to the local radio ownership rule, Section 202(b)(1) of the Telecommunications Act directs the FCC to revise the permissible number of commonly-owned commercial radio stations in a local radio market as follows:


(C) in a radio market with between 15 and 29 (inclusive) commercial radio stations, a party may own, operate, or control up to 6 commercial radio stations, not more than 4 of which are in the same service (AM or FM)

Sounds pretty official, doesn't it?

Currently my company owns outlets in News/Talk, Classic Rock, Country and Album Rock, all of which are doing quite well.

It was announced earlier today that we were going to purchase the Hot AC branding and the OTHER Country outlet in town.

That's right, if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.

Country is a HUGE format in this area. This means, unless I'm fired or replaced, I could have the number one afternoon show in the market.

A number of variables and scenarios could end up happenning, but this is where I believe the dust will settle:

My company will take the Hot AC branding and move it over to the former home of the other country station. Our country station will hire away their old morning show (which was more popular than ours) and shift it to our station.

That means I could be squeezed out or promoted.

They could decide to hire my direct competition (or any of the other jocks at the old country station) and replace me outright.

To quote my General Manager: "To be honest, I'm loyal to those already employed here. You will still be part of the team."

That's good to hear because I do trust our General Manager. She speaks her mind and speaks it honestly.

That still doesn't mean I'll be employed here three weeks from now.

So I'm divisive on the Squeeze Blood From a Turnip Act of 1996.

Taking a postive bent, it allowed companies to expand their already successful operations and share personnel, thus saving costs.

From the negative side though, it has prompted companies to ask for more time from employees while compensating them less.

Sigh.

Surprisingly, I'm not really worried.

Fate has an interesting and commanding way of pointing one in the direction they just couldn't muster up enough courage to act upon.

That is what I am assuming will happen to me.

I listened to our competition over the weekend and none of the regular staff was on-air. It sounded like they just threw on a bunch of interns and promotional assistants to fill in. Either they've bolted or taken the last of their vacation, I don't really know.

I just know that for once, it's good to be on the winning side of the battle.

And whatever happens, I'll be ok.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, do you type his shit and just not post it, because I check every day and I would swear that stuff dated last week was NOT there yesterday.

    Very sneaky, my friend.

    I believe your right about destiny pointing you in the right direction. It's like, if you don'y know what to do, don't do anything. Eventually God will strip you of all the options but the one you're supposed to take.
    Scary, but true.

    ReplyDelete