Sunday, April 02, 2006

Melanie the Intuitive

When you toil in the bastions of radio, you occasionally have the chance to meet famous and interesting people.

At the company Christmas party, Dick Smothers performed his famous yo-yo routine. I've watched it before on TV Land, but there was an electrical essence sparking his every move.

A few weeks ago I shook the hand of the creative genius that I hail above all others: John Lasseter. I hold his Pixar films in high regard as they've brought me so much joy and happiness over the years while I've marvelled at the sheer genius it took to get all the pieces to fit together into one cohesive, entertaining whole.

And plus, he signed my Buzz Lightyear radio.

So as I was driving into the station this morning, our morning show was interviewing Melanie the Intuitive.

They were taking calls from listeners and by simply hearing the person's voice and listening intently to the question, she could interpet what was going to happen in an individual's future.

I rarely take advantage of our ability to garner CD's and concert tickets, but I wasn't about to allow Melanie to leave without asking her a very important question related to the future well being of yours truly Stacy Without An E.

She answered her last question and gave her phone number again, so I needed to time my entrance properly. I waited for the commercials to start, the on-air mic light to flicker off and then I opened the studio door.

Melanie must have known my question was imminent, because she nearly had one foot out the door.

"Excuse me, Melanie. My name's Stacy. I'm on the air right after the morning show. I was wondering if I could ask you a question before you leave."

I could tell she wanted to go, but she was polite and forthcoming.

"Of course, what's your question?"

I took in a big breath of air and asked.

"I have been on the kidney transplant list for some time now and I was wondering if you knew when I could expect a kidney."

"Well, I see some markers. You have some common markers, don't you?"

"Oh my God, yes. They're genetic markers. I was told by the doctors that mine were very common, increasing my odds for a kidney."

"I believe you can expect a call from them within the next year."

I was stymied. In my mindset, a kidney has seemed like an unattainable dream. Something not quite real.

"Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome Stacy, take care."

And then she was gone.

I've never put much faith in psychics, intuitives or fortune teller's, but the fact that she knew about my marker history was eerily relevant.

You can actually call and have a full intuitive reading about your life. I'm not sure I really need that much guidance, but above all else Melanie gave me a gift I couldn't have purchased with the wealth of my own past history.

She gave me hope.

And that's all I can really ask for at this point in my life.

1 comment: