Monday, April 10, 2006

The Stacy Spring Mini-Vacation 2006

Outside of the painful needles and weekly blood washing, outrageous debt and tiring career, I am really lucky in many respects.

And one of those would be in the BFD: the Best Friend Department.

I have known Ted for over 15 years now and whatever hospital I happened to be residing in, or dopey backwater radio station I was broadcasting from, he'd always kept in touch.

So when his wife decided to visit her family in Texas, he cordially invited me to his place for the weekend.

Now if we were typical "dudes", this would be a frivolous weekend of strip clubs and beer joints.

Fortunately, when it comes down to it, we're more like "dorks."

And I'm very happy about that fact.

I managed to get all my work done Friday night so I could leave Saturday morning for the two hour drive without any responsibility.

I'm North Bay, he's South Bay. Together we rule the Bay Area (except for that pesky East Bay, but the highway system is so convoluted and the people so full of themselves, we don't believe we're missing anything.)

It was good to see Ted, it had been too long. After initial greetings it was time for our first stop: the local arcade.

This rings back to our affiliation with Generation X. We both grew up with Ms. Pac Man and Asteroids lighting up our imagination. And since we're guys, we'll never fully rid ourselves of our adolescence. It's in our DNA.

After a two hour binge, it was off to the movie theater where we saw "Lucky Number Slevin", an interesting if slightly frustrating film about a scam the audience isn't even aware of until nearly the very end.

It starred Bruce Willis, and he makes any film exponentially better, so I think we enjoyed it. I'd have to go back to watch it again to see if everything holds water.

Then it was off to Mountain Mike's for 2-for-1 pizza night. Two large pizzas for the price of one.

I ordered anchovies and Ted didn't even flinch. That's what I love about him. He accepts the fact that I devour disgusting little salty fishes and allows me to indulge in my tastes.

The rest of the night was spent flipping around the tube and inhaling pizza.

I've loved pizza my entire life. After my first kidney transplant I finally had my appetite back and all I wanted to eat was pizza. One of the nurses ordered some for me and I ended up getting sick. She was reemed by the doctors simply for performing a kind deed.

I'll never forget her.

Anyway, Sunday Dialysis reared his ugly mug and almost ruined my weekend.

I awoke Sunday morning feeling really weak, so I wandered downstairs and plopped myself on the couch.

I stayed there until 7pm that night.

Sometime around 12:30pm, I just couldn't hold it any longer. I didn't want to stain the silence of my friend's beautiful townhouse, but I couldn't help it.

I ran upstairs and threw up in the upstairs bathroom.

I'm sure it didn't sound pleasant.

But Ted didn't make a big deal out of it.

I collapsed back on the couch and surprisingly spent half the day sleeping.

And this is what kills me about my condition.

Even when I make the absolute best effort to have a good time and enjoy myself, Dialysis won't hear of it.

Even on a weekend when I'm hanging with my best friend, Dialysis reminds me that He's in control and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

This is where I try to remember how lucky I am.

My parents are alive and doing well for their age. My sister is pregnant with her second child and as happy as can be. And my best friend is just two hours away and I can visit whenever I wish. And I'm still managing to continue my career.

Take that Dialysis.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... I'm lucky too. I stutter my way through sentences and you don't snicker. You offer advice and don't judge. You allow me to slam my hand through aquariums and don't ridicule. When does our summer "mini-vacation" start?

    ReplyDelete