Tuesday, January 01, 2008

345 and Counting...

As the first day of the New Year begins unabated I find that my yearly does of bronchitis has made its yearly visit.

Although it's early this year. Probably missed me.

There are many things I hope to accomplish this year regardless of how Dialysis tries to steal them from me. Most of which is I would like to give this blog the attention it deserves. In 2007, my blog became weak and abandoned, fettering among the winds of the polluted internet.

I have made a vow to myself to blog every single day in 2007.

I know. How enterprising. And quite possibly, how annoying.

I've been keeping this wonderfully unkempt notebook jotting down ideas for short stories I've had tinkering around the ghettos of my mind, hoping to bring them to fruition. For the longest time I've felt like I've been waiting for something to push me to live one of my life long dreams. As the New Year has made itself fully known I've been reexamining my life and wondering what the hell I'm doing.

That's right. What the hell am I doing?

Sometimes I use Dialysis as an excuse, a lie to myself as to why I can't fulfill all of my true potential. Yes, most days I feel like crap. Sadly, that's something I've become accustomed to. So leaning on it like an old worn crutch isn't something I'm too proud of.

I have two dreams left in my life and before I recoil into the depths of history I'd like to know that I gave every ounce of my being to achieve them. I will share those with you now:

1. To be a published author.

--- I started this blog as a way to flex my writing muscles and see if I still had enough talent buried in the crevices of my soul. If I had tried ten years ago I wouldn't have had the life experience. And truth be told, everything I wrote then was more trite and superficial than I'd like to admit.

As I continue to age I find more and more that my condition has given me insight into appreciation for parts of life that otherwise I would have taken for granted.

And all those years patiently waiting in doctor's offices and hospital beds pushed my imagination to create worlds for myself so I could deal with my circumstances.

That too, has surprisingly been a blessing.

I have set a goal of twelve short stories by the end of the year. Will I finish one a month and move happily on? Probably not. But twelve is a viable and achievable goal.

2. Voice an animated character.

--- Every since I started in radio over ten years ago I've always wanted to be the voice of an animated character. If you've ever listened for more than five minutes to me while on the air (and God help you if you have) I believe some individuals picture me rather cartoonish. Actually, when listeners meet me in person they wonder why I'm not taller.

Um, that's, a, compliment? Sort of?

Anyway, there's a world renowned voice over training, production and recording studio in Sonoma that I've been wanting to attend. I have years of training behind the mic but I have no experience putting a demo tape together for voice over much less how to market one.

I think that would be a good investment and probably a hugely entertaining and life gaining experience.

To summarize, the preceding are NOT resolutions. Merely goals I have for the New Year.

And Dialysis be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment