Thursday, January 10, 2008

Extremely Obese Fat Woman

Or maybe I should refer to her as Extremely Fat Obese Woman.

Whatever her name, she has turned Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday into a living hell at Dialysis.

I haven't even finished my first six days a week of treatment and I want to throttle her.

Every time I attend Dialysis I bring a NetFlix film to watch. If it's of high enough quality, I forget I'm at Dialysis and time zooms by.

But not today damn you.

You insisted on blaring your telenovela at the absolute loudest possible setting. As is usually the case with patients at my clinic, I ask the tech to request you to turn it down.

"Why?"

"Because you're disturbing the other patients."

Since I'm the only individual in your vicinity, you shoot me a nasty look. Then you stuff something green into your gullet and swallow without chewing.

You the proceed to crank your show back up to full volume when the tech is across the clinic.

This is not simply my issue, but something that is glaringly wrong with the nation as a whole.

Everything is about ME.

I want to talk on MY cellphone as loud as possible because I'M important. I need to be served next because MY time is more important than yours. I'M blaring MY radio because I want to listen to MY music as loud as possible.

ME, ME, ME...I, I, I.

Whatever happened to common courtesy to others in this country?

"Please" and "thank you" are foreign phrases. Offering your chair to an elderly or pregnant person on the bus is laughably extinct. Holding a door open for the person behind you a figment of the past.

With too many choices at our disposal we've created a ME generation where self absorption and narcissism have constipated the ego and created a mindset of self importance unseen in our culture before.

I will continue to battle these forces with kindness and patience with the hope that those who witness these moments will be baffled enough to contemplate their own personal actions.

I will thank YOU for your help. I will ask if YOU need help. I will do what I can to make sure the rudeness clogging the arteries of kindness in this country are cleared away.

And I hope I'm not alone.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't have said it better myself! I wish everyone would read this!

    ReplyDelete