Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Unforseen Epiphany

Wisdom can shine in the strangest places imaginable.

Even from the lips of a veteran Dialysis tech.

I'm such a moody son-of-a-bitch when it comes to entering the clinic. Most days I'm trying not to imagine how much pain I'm going to endure for the next two hours, so I'm pretty quiet.

If you knew me in person, you'd realize this is very odd indeed.

Plus, it's what I do for a living.

Today I was feeling a little more jovial than usual, so as I placed my personal items in the exact same spots I always do (I'm Anal Retentive Boy) I sat down and prepared myself physically and mentally for the next two hours of urine, fluid and urea removal.

"I think I'm gonig to shave my Beard of Destiny. Since I dyed it it's starting to come in really gray."

Tilted Accent Tech was disappointed by this.

"Oh, why would you do that? In the Philippines gray hair is seen as something to be honored, not hidden."

"But this isn't America."

"So true."

Once the needles had invaded my arm and I counted the minutes until the lidocaine wore off, an Epiphany jumped from the shadows behind Old Moley Guy and pranced around near Farty Snorey Guy.

Every single gray hair that is infiltrating my skull and parading along my beard has been well earned.

Twenty five years ago in May my life was extended by my first kidney transplant. Because of good timing in the hands of fate, I wasn't born twenty years earlier when such technology made cameo appearances in science fiction novels.

I should be proud of the years I've managed to survive and welcome each lightened hair with a smile and a handshake.

For the last two years, and especially since the Beard of Destiny, I've been dying my hair and fooling everyone, especially myself.

But no more.

Over the years I've glanced at photos of my parents when they were a young couple just starting out and my Dad had salt and pepper hair in his early 40's. I imagine I'll look much the same in the next few years.

And I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment